Friday, October 2, 2009

Postscript.

Note to everyone ! Always carry paper and pen !

I've just found more scribblings in the margins of the crossword puzzler (thanks Poll, nearly finished !)

I had entered the malls with my scarf hanging around my neck ready to pull up if need be. I clocked everyone as I strolled, looking for other bared heads. There were other females shopping even without the scarf at the ready, I felt ok.

As we finished up our trip we mmmmmmmmmmm . . . I said we bought doughnuts ! !
We were queueing for our health conscious fruit juices, he a Barbados Islander and I a Wicked Berry when Stephen nudged me. He had noticed a man in pristine white with a beautiful floaty black scarf and a rather striking goatee. The 'holy man' had very quietly asked me to pull my veil up as he slipped through the crowds. I automatically did it, turning to see who, what, where.

A discussion was then started with some youths lounging at a nearby table. Their manner was, 'hey look at me'. They were dressed in low slung jeans and t-shirts.

He began with the lad in a singlet, so much bare flesh did look a tad incongrous, I was amazed to see the boy get up and leave with just a word or two of, Arabic 'hey man, I'm not harming anyone'. As we turned our attention to paying, the other boys were being, presumably asked to go and dress correctly, all being done in this very quiet manner!

In bed that night, as is always the way, I asked myself why I had complied? Where was the vitriolic speech I pracised in my head ending with telling him to get a proper job?

He was a smooth operator!

4 comments:

  1. Now, now old chap. That is frightfully Victorian of you. What-what.

    Is it not good manners to abide by the customs and rules of others when you are a guest? How about when they are guests in our countries? Discuss for 10 marks.

    Pip-pip old chap. ;)

    Maff

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wrong and brutal custom that reduces woman to a small black pin while man struts his stuff in his finery and carefully shaven face hair, all in the name of religion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was covered from chin to ankle in my abaya ! Hardly sacheting my stuff or drawing unseemly attention to myself but then again we're back to this distorted view of what's unseemly.

    ReplyDelete