Wednesday, September 9, 2009

See !

I told you how important dates are !

I've just read a small article in the paper which shows how popular they are here in the month of Ramadan.

In Madinah a 'trickster' thought it a 'fun' idea to climb onto a building with a megaphone and begin the call for the Maghreb prayer five minutes before the actual time of sunset! I'm afraid I can see the Monty Python-esque alure of this idea. However . . . in Saudi Arabia ? !

Although many people were astute enough to realize it was a tad early to break their fast, timing must be extremely important it seems about this, there were others who 'jumped immediately on the dates as they heard the call.'

The reporter suggests these pilgrims were 'perhaps delusional from a day of no food, drink or tobacco.' Maybe the heat played a part as well.

The 'trickster's' motive is unclear and the poor guy has been described as 'mentally deranged.'

The mental picture of the rugby scrum over the dishes of dates is appealing.

Go grab your dates !

6 comments:

  1. As the follower of various dieting regimes, I can vouch for the delusional effects of lack of food and alcohol at least!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The poor guy probably just thought he was doing everyone a service. Hope he didn't get caught and hauled away by the police!
    I try and imagine the lovely smell of cooking that must waft from all the kitchens as the end of day and sunset arrives. It semms to me that it's even more difficult for the women who have to cook the food but aren't allowed a nibble or a little cook's treat.
    bisous
    rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't get me started on a woman's lot here.

    My policy while I'm here is to soak up as much of the culture and information of the region as I can, and it wasn't intentionally about women, but I am beginning to see most things from the woman's perspective.

    I don't want to discuss woman's part in the middle east while I"m here. I'm still gathering information and looking to focus on anything but, not easy, but I've managed it so far.
    So please Rose . . . . till the dinner table?!
    bisous to you too, Hil, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Penny, I'm ashamed to say I can't go till lunchtime without breaking my fast from breakfast!
    I delude myself with the 'little and often'theory. Who am I kidding!
    The nearest I've come to fasting is if I've been ill and miss a meal.
    Mind you I am dreaming about pies and fish and chips and egg and bacon now.
    I'm formulating a plan to drive down to Pol's local fish and chip shop (to die for doll!)even though she doesn't live there anymore and it's in the centre of London.
    It's a bit like the wool thing. Trying to justify the effort and expense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why do Australians marry women?
    Because sheep can't cook

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Stephen!!
    I don't seem to remember ANYONE refraining from smoking when we were in Tunisia- perhaps they celebrate Ramadan differently in the Maghreb?!!!
    I do, however, remember learning that Islam, in all its practicality, allowed travellers to eat during the day as well as those who were ill, extremely young or old etc. So no one would die from a little wanting...
    Jennx

    ReplyDelete