Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A confession.

So, I found another three English books in the library yesterday. They must have been hiding, unless one of the Filipino or Scandinavian guys has just returned them?!

I got Ángela's Ashes, by Frank McCourt; 'Love Janis', by Laura Joplin and 'Mother Without A Mask, A Westerner's Story Of Her Arab Family, by Patricia Holton.

The last one is obviously drawing me because of my current situation and the one I dived into straight away. Patricia Holton was host to two young boys being educated in London and when they returned to Abu Dhabi they sent for her to visit them and their family. Her trite, almost, Áh bless!', acceptance of the females being behind their masks, they wore the hard leather ones, is really irking me but it's informative.

I've heard of Janis Joplin, obviously being a child of the sixties, but know absolutely nothing about her. I've scanned the pictures already and my appetite is whetted!

I know I've read Ángela's Ashes, before. I do know that, but I have such a shocking memory that I can't remember a darned thing about it. So the plus side of having no memory is that I get to enjoy stuff twice !

I can't remember the last time I read so much ! A library book lasts me a good month! Two pages at night and I'm out like a light.

As a kid I had a friend, Linda Creghan. No, I'm not swanking now.
At the end of each day''s play I think I used to sidle up to her box of comics and wait for her to offer me the loan of a couple. I couldn't wait to get to bed and devour them! Thanks Linda !

Going orff piste, r Rose has alerted me to a game she will admit to playing. Spelling bees! www.timesspellingbee.co.uk One visit and I'm hooked! I think I'm like her in that I enjoyed spelling at primary school. I've always thought how lucky I am to be able to fix the word in my mind, it makes life so much easier.

Even orffter piste, have I told about my knitsib?!
Brenda Dayne hosts a podcast www.cast-on.com. I've been listening to it daily as I knit, it's been fantastic. Brenda has a very friendly voice and has lots of interesting titbits to listen to. Saturday the 19th September she sat atop the 4th plinth in Trafalgar Square and knit. www.One&other.com. should be the website for the plinth project. Go check it out!

Where did the day go?!

2 comments:

  1. ooh that site is addictive!!!

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spelling? I'm hopeless! Where would I be without the spellcheck button!

    ReplyDelete