Friday, September 4, 2009

Some knitting nonsense.

I'd always thought I'd love to have a fee paying job knitting from nine to five.
Imagine getting paid for doing something you love and not having to find holes in your day to have a quick burst at it?!
Until recently I'd never thought of the design side of it and was just happy knitting other people's designs for me or more usually, anybody else I thought 'needed' some handhewn love.
This year Polly, daughter no.3, graduated in, knitwear design and I have had a wonderful time working with her and learning from her.
I'm hoping to get on the payroll! Eh, Poll?!
However . . . . . . since arriving here I've sat and I've knitted morning, noon and yes, night, every day.
I can see light at the end of the afghan tunnel but at what cost?!

My left arm had a slight twinge in it when I arrived. My left shoulder has a permanent ache in it now.
Complete inactivity, apart from the wrist action has left me stiff all over and moving around like a . . . . . . well let's just say my 80 year old Mother in law will leave me in the starting blocks.

On the plus side, because of this I've discovered I can knit walking around and even dancing, well bopping to Russell Davis on radio 2 !
I'm especially thrilled with this latest talent as I came across a picture in a knitting book some years ago. It was a photo from the late 1800's taken somewhere like Cornwall, showing four girls/women in their long skirts and working pinnies, knitting as they stand outside a cottage. I've wanted to be able to do that ever since.

I remember a visit to my sister Rose's back in the 70.s. We had tucked our kiddies up and were lingering as usual over the dinner table, dinner long since finished but where else do you get good crack? I know that isn't the correct spelling, but you know what I mean.
I've never been a night bird and so my eyelids were up and down like yo-yo's. Nothing unusual there, except I had my knitting in my hands. Rose, Hubes and Stephen's laughter woke me up.

Is this, suffering for one's art?

7 comments:

  1. Not sure how else you could spell "crack"
    "krack" maybe or "krac". "Crac" would also work but would anybody understand?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what have you beeen knitting all this time? And do you see a difference in size or tension or whatever the technical knitting word is,in the stitches as you bop about the sitting room?
    And can we have a photo of it? If it's a scarf for those long cold Saudi winters, you must be able to wrap it round your neck quite a few times, eh?
    Love rose
    ps I can't remember offering any illegal substances to my guests round the dinner table! Or was I in one of my 'have one of my homemade mints to go with your coffeee' mode?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've sat round Rose's dinner table Hilary, and when Nicky starts going round with liqueur bottle anything can happen! Can't wait to see the finished project, and photos of the dancing knitting lady!
    love Penny
    P.S. Tim says it's spelt 'craic'!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You need to institute some exercise time in your knitting day - maybe knit for 30 mins and then stop for 10 (make a cup of tea, walk around, stretch etc.)

    You are an elite knitting athlete. You need to keep your body in tip top shape. Visualize the goal. Be the ball...of wool

    Also you could think about taking out insurance on your arms like all the top models do :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tsk, tsk- repetitive strain injury is not something you want to have to look after for the rest of your life! Please do some appropriate stretches before, during and after extended knitting sessions! How will you hold future grandbabies if your arm is in a sling??
    Jennx

    ReplyDelete
  6. They'll just go in the sling with the arm!

    ReplyDelete